2016 Powerade State Games of North Carolina - 789 Teams and 13,377 Athletes Participated
DURHAM, North Carolina, July 7, 2016 - North Carolina's largest multi-sport event included 26 sports and athletes from 92 North Carolina Counties and South Carolina. The 30th edition of the Powerade State Games of North Carolina were hosted by Raleigh, Cary and Durham. Competition venues included the USA Baseball National Training Center, North Carolina State University, Duke University, WRAL Soccer Park, the Raleigh Convention Center, WakeMed Soccer Park, Triangle Table Tennis Center, Daniel Dhers Action Sports Complex, Durham Bulls Athletic Park, Historic American Tobacco Campus, Southern Sand Volleyball Complex and Durham County Stadium. Medal winners at the 2016 Powerade State Games qualified for the 2017 State Games of America to be held in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Some highlights from the 2016 Powerade State Games of North Carolina included:
- More athletes, more venues and more hours of competition than the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio.
- An exciting Opening Ceremonies in Durham Bulls Stadium at WRAL Soccer Park that included: a FanFest, Olympic Day Celebration, Parade of Athletes, Bandit Flight Team Flyover, BMX Stunt Team Performance and Wool E. Bull lighting the cauldron.
- The #1 Play of the Day on ESPN's June 26th SportsCenter program - https://youtu.be/3zK2s5CZ6kk?t=2m26s
- Manteo Mitchell (2012 Olympic gold and silver medalist) winning two golds medals in the Powerade State Games track & Field competition held at Durham County Stadium.
- More than 100 college coaches and professional scouts from various states attended the high school competitions for baseball, soccer, softball, lacrosse and basketball for recruiting.
- Youngest participant was a 4 year old Taekwondo athlete. Oldest participant was a 75 year old female track and field athlete.
- An inaugural "Closing Party" was held on June 25 at Dave and Buster's for all athletes.
The Powerade State Games will move to the Piedmont Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point and Burlington) for 2017-18 and to the Charlotte region for 2019-20.
The 2016 Powerade State Games of North Carolina corporate partners include: Powerade, BB&T, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, Lowes Foods, Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance, Visit Raleigh, Greater Durham Chamber of Commerce, Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau, Capitol Broadcasting Company, Durham Bulls, Jimmy John's Sandwiches, Dicks's Sporting Goods, Sheetz, Orthopaedic Specialists of N.C., Fairway Outdoor Advertising, Homewood Suites, Bojangles, Systel Office Automation, PDQ and York Properties.
ABOUT THE POWERADE STATE GAMES OF NORTH CAROLINA
The Powerade State Games are one of the oldest, largest and most successful State Games programs in the United States. There are currently 30+ State Games programs in the United States. The State Games are open to all ages and all skill levels. The average age of the Powerade State Games participants is 16 years old. The State Games are funded by corporate sponsorships, contributions and event revenues.
ABOUT NORTH CAROLINA AMATEUR SPORTS (NCAS)
North Carolina Amateur Sports is a 501c(3) nonprofit charitable organization that annually organizes the State Games of North Carolina and Cycle North Carolina. NCAS is dedicated to promoting health and wellness for all ages and skill levels through organizing best-in-class sporting events that enrich the quality of life and enhance the economic well-being of North Carolina communities. For more information on NCAS and its events, please access www.ncsports.org.
Related Link: http://pag.ncsports.org/news/newsDetail.cfm?newsID=42