24 fun things to do in Greater Raleigh
Wed, Apr. 11 2012, 9AM by visitRaleigh
From tours to museums, from kid-friendly activities to some of the best shopping around, Greater Raleigh has something unique for everyone. We’ve had some fun and come up with 24 fun things to see and do, which we hope will help you when planning your visit. We know there’s so much more in the Raleigh area, so tell us your favorites here, on Facebook or Twitter.
- Take a tour – The Raleigh area has numerous guided tour options to fit your interest or age!
- Be part of “Raleigh’s New World” – Explore the area’s newest museum, the Nature Research Center, which happens to be in the shape of a three-story globe!
- Get your glide on – Triangle Segway offers motorized segway tours on a daily basis–a perfect way to explore downtown Raleigh.
- Get an outdoor education – Greenway trails, nature programs and wildlife watching at Walnut Creek Urban Wetland Educational Park, Raleigh’s newest environmental park.
- Take in a movie – The Wells Fargo IMAX Theatre screens documentaries and feature films on one of the biggest movie screens around.
- Get contemporary – The Contemporary Art Museum (CAM Raleigh) is the state’s only non-collecting contemporary art museum and has a rotating schedule of new exhibits.
- Be fashion-forward – Check out The Curatory, where Raleigh Denim jeans are handcrafted and individually signed before being shipped to high-end boutiques and department stores.
- Grab a local brew – The Raleigh area is home to nine craft breweries, many which offer free tours and tastings.
- Check the visitRaleigh.com calendar – The Raleigh area is known for unique festivals and events no matter what time of year you’re here.
- Eat at Big Ed’s City Market – Pancakes as big as hubcaps and Southern cooking done right at this City Market eatery.
- Be a chocoholic – Admire the beauty of Escazu Chocolates before learning about the bean-to-bar chocolate process.
- Discover why one person’s trash is another’s treasure – Peruse the hundreds of vendors at the Raleigh Flea Market, a weekly, weekend shopping paradise at the N.C. State Fairgrounds.
- Feel the “need for speed” – Test your need for speed at Rush Hour Karting in Garner where these suped-up go-karts reach speeds of 40 mph.
- Take an underwater adventure – Fantasy Lake Scuba Park in Rolesville is the largest scuba diving park on the East Coast.
- Be a Music Maniac – Concerts abound at one of the area’s live music venues. No matter your musical taste, or where you like to hear live music, we’ve got your ticket ready.
- Be “second” best – The Mortex Factory Outlet in Wendell is a local secret and the best place to buy “seconds” in college sports clothing.
- Discover art and nature – The N.C. Museum of Art is home to the country’s largest art park containing more than 15 large-scale works of outdoor art.
- Ride a historic carousel – Take a spin on the recently restored 1911 Dentzel carousel at Pullen Park.
- Pay homage – Explore the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Gardens, the first public park in the United States devoted exclusively to Dr. King and the Civil Rights movement.
- Go sesquicentennial reminiscing – The Historic Oakwood Cemetery is the final resting place of more than 1,500 Confederate soldiers.
- Grind some corn – Take a walk around Historic Yates Mill County Park, a water-powered grist mill from 1756 that still grinds corn with traditional methods.
- Tour this old house – The Joel Lane Museum House is Wake County’s oldest home and offers tours and special events.
- Imagine – The perfect word for Marbles Kids Museum where kids can learn and play through interactive exhibits, educational programs and special events.
- Experience a culture capital – The Raleigh area is known for an outstanding performing arts scene so check the calendar for performances by the Carolina Ballet, N.C. Opera, N.C. Symphony, N.C. Theatre or one of the many local theatre companies.
- Apex (44)
- art (130)
- beer (116)
- Cary (138)
- Downtown Raleigh (306)
- entertainment (124)
- events (8)
- family fun (171)
- festival (108)
- food (173)
- Fuquay-Varina (41)
- Garner (20)
- history (50)
- holidays (96)
- Holly Springs (32)
- Knightdale (8)
- live music (132)
- Morrisville (20)
- museums (59)
- N.C. Beer Month (29)
- nightlife (78)
- outdoor activities (103)
- performing arts (53)
- Raleigh (896)
- recreation (66)
- Rolesville (5)
- shopping (58)
- sports (75)
- tastes (157)
- Wake Forest (39)
- Wendell (17)
- Zebulon (15)