All That Glitters: Spark and Dazzle from the Permanent Collection
- Dates: January 24, 2020 - May 17, 2020
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Presenting Organization: ArtsNCState
- Venue: Gregg Museum of Art & Design
- Location: West Raleigh/N.C. State Univ/PNC Arena
- Address: 1903 Hillsborough St., North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27607
- Phone: 919.515.1100
- Admission: Free
The sparkle of a diamond signaling a commitment to marriage. The gleam of chrome and glossy paint on a brand new car or motorcycle. The sequined shimmer of a stage performer’s costume. The glitter of crystal and sparkling silverware at a formal dinner party. The sheen of real gold on just about anything. Nearly everyone would agree that shiny or sparkling things are eye-catching. But just what is it about them that makes them so (literally) attractive?
In its spring exhibition, All that Glitters—Spark and Dazzle from the Permanent Collection, the Gregg Museum not only showcases some of the most visually stunning objects in its holdings, but uses them as points of departure to probe some of the deeper cultural, psychological, and even evolutionary impulses that may have brought about their creation in the first place.