Design by Time
- Dates: January 24, 2020 - May 17, 2020
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Presenting Organization: ArtsNCState
- Venue: Gregg Museum of Art & Design
- Location: West Raleigh/N.C. State Univ/PNC Arena
- Address: 1903 Hillsborough St., North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27607
- Phone: 919.515.1100
- Admission: Free
From the Pratt Manhattan Gallery comes Design by Time, an exhibition with work from 22 international designers portraying time and its dynamic effects on fashion, furniture, textiles, vessels, and more.
In this exhibition, the featured designers employ all manner of influences – chemistry, crystallization, magnetism, astronomy, oceanography, and the more expected forms of drawing, music and weaving – to portray relationships between time and creation, its relationship with nature, and its inevitability. The objects on display reveal a partnership of sorts between each designer and their chosen materials, and how that relates to the intersection of space and time. The resulting textiles, vessels, objects, fashions, clocks and calendars depict “Time as Creator,” “Time Performed,” and “Time Visualized” offering wide-ranging responses to the questions of how time is spent, how time can function either as a collaborator or a force to overcome, and, ultimately, how time’s complexity inspires a wealth of interpretation.