Every Brilliant Thing
- Dates: 10/8/2021, 10/9/2021, 10/10/2021, 10/15/2021, 10/16/2021, 10/17/2021, 10/22/2021, 10/23/2021, 10/24/2021
- Venue: Umstead Park United Church of Christ
- Location: RDU/Brier Creek
- Address: 8208 Brownleigh Dr., Raleigh, NC 27617
- Times: Fri. and Sat., 7:30pm; Sun., 3:30pm
- Admission: $5+
An interactive play that shines a light on all things worth living for! By Duncan Macmillan, with Jonny Donahoe.
Drawing on warmth, hope, and gentle humor, the play addresses the effects of depression and suicide, as experienced by son and playwright Duncan Macmillan, who was inspired to brighten his mother’s days by writing post-it notes with the brilliant things that make life worth living, such as, ice cream or water fights. Never speaking directly about his lists, he knows she reads it because she corrected his spelling. Macmillan revisits the list years later as a young man in love, a man growing up and experiencing life. The audience travels with him, as they interact and sometimes become key players in this retelling. Macmillan’s message in “Every Brilliant Thing” is that no matter how dark life may be, it may not be brilliant but it will get better.