James Cameron: Challenging the Deep
- Dates: October 15, 2022 - May 7, 2023
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Venue: North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
- Location: Downtown Raleigh
- Address: 11 W. Jones St., Raleigh, NC 27601
- Phone: 919.707.9800
- Times: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Admission: Adults, $16; Senior (65+)/Student (13+)/Military, with ID, $14; Child ages 3-12, $12; Museum members and Child 2 & under, Free
Immerse yourself in an underwater world. The exhibition traces explorer and filmmaker James Cameron’s passion for deep-ocean science, technology and exploration, including his record-breaking dive to the bottom of the ocean in the DEEPSEA CHALLENGER – the submersible he co-designed and co-engineered.
Experience how Cameron’s passion for exploring our ocean shone a light on the least-known place on Earth. This immersive exhibition takes you into a deep-ocean environment using cinema-scale projections, artifacts and specimens from his expeditions. Explore the deepest ocean and discover the shipwrecks of Titanic and the German battleship Bismarck. Learn how technologies pioneered by Cameron for underwater recording, lighting, communication and diving are employed in both his filmmaking and exploration. You’ll also see original film props and costumes from “The Abyss” and “Titanic,” including the iconic Heart of the Ocean diamond. Discover the world of a man driven to explore and meet the challenges of the deep.