Raleigh Civic Chamber Orchestra: The Dreams Is Alive, Celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Dates: April 8, 2018
- Presenting Organization: The Department of Music at NC State University
- Venue: Stewart Theatre, Talley Student Center at North Carolina State University
- Location: West Raleigh/N.C. State Univ/PNC Arena
- Address: 2610 Cates Ave., Raleigh, NC 27695
- Phone: 919.515.8272
- Times: 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
- Admission: $10 for adults, $8 for all students and seniors, $5 for NC State Students
In commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King's death, the Raleigh Civic Chamber Orchestra of NC State University will perform a program of music by African American composers. The concert will feature the World Premiere of Sinfonietta of Dreams, a newly commissioned composition by composer Jeff Scott. The music will be based on the "Dream" speech MLK gave in Rocky Mount prior to his well-known Washington speech, and will feature a gospel choir, orchestra and actual recordings from the speech. NCSU faculty member Dr. Jason Miller will speak about the story behind Dr. King’s NC speech and its legacy. A post-concert discussion will complement the music.
The concert will be part of a series of collaborative events focused on Dr. King’s legacy on the NCSU campus and beyond. Presented in collaboration with the NC State African American Cultural Center and NC State Live.