Reflections on Light: Works from the NCMA Collection
- Dates: September 9, 2020 - February 14, 2021
- Recurrence: Recurring daily
- Venue: North Carolina Museum of Art
- Location: West Raleigh/N.C. State Univ/PNC Arena
- Address: 2110 Blue Ridge Rd., East Building, Level B, Video Gallery, Photography Gallery 1 (Julian T. Baker Jr. Gallery) and 2 (Allen G. Thomas Jr. Gallery), Raleigh, NC 27607
- Phone: 919.839.6262
- Times: See website for museum hours
- Admission: Free and open to the public
Featuring objects from 16 countries and spanning more than 2,500 years of art history, Reflections on Light: Works from the NCMA Collection celebrates the diverse collections of the North Carolina Museum of Art. Bringing together artworks from different cultures, continents, and histories, Reflections on Light showcases how artists from many eras—from ancient Guatemala to 20th-century Ghana—responded to, used, and revered light.
Reflections on Light was organized in conjunction with the 10th anniversary of the NCMA’s West Building, designed by Thomas Phifer and Partners, to allow for an unprecedented experience of art in natural light. This exhibition explores the diverse ways in which natural and artificial light have impacted artists over time. It illuminates how artists drew with, painted, expressed, and harnessed light, and how light lets us look back through time as we investigate the history of our NCMA collection.