Scott Avett: I N V I S I B L E
- Dates: October 12, 2019 - February 2, 2020
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Venue: North Carolina Museum of Art
- Location: West Raleigh/N.C. State Univ/PNC Arena
- Address: 2110 Blue Ridge Rd., East Building, Gallery 2, Joyce W. Pope Gallery, and Gallery 3, Raleigh, NC 27607-6407
- Phone: 919.839.6262
- Times: Check website for available times
- Admission: $9-$12
Scott Avett: I N V I S I B L E features psychologically charged and emotionally intense portraits focused on his family and himself often intimate, vulnerable and sometimes uncomfortably truthful portrayals. Until now Avetts work with The Avett Brothers has taken center stage. The NCMA exhibition shines a light on his art making, thereby demonstrating the richness and diversity of his practice. The exhibit willinclude large-scale portraits, prints and paintings.
Internationally recognized as co-founder of the band The Avett Brothers, Scott Avett has been a working artist, focusing on painting and printmaking, since he earned a BFA in studio art from East Carolina University in 2000. But until now this art-making part of his life has been a secret and a more solitary creative pursuit in comparison to his life as a musician, singer, and songwriter. Like his songs, Avett’s paintings speak to universal issues of spirituality and struggle, love and loss, heartache and joy, as well as more personal stories of career, family, and living in the South. The exhibition includes large-scale oil paintings, prints and paintings related to Avett’s musical career.