The Art of Travel: Pastel Paintings from the Estate of Elsie Dinsmore Popkin
- Dates: September 2, 2018 - October 17, 2018
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
- Venue: Gallery C
- Location: Downtown Raleigh
- Address: 540 N. Blount St., Raleigh, NC 27604
- Phone: 919.828.3165
- Times: 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM
- Admission: Free; this is a for profit exhibition
Elsie Dinsmore Popkin (1937-2005) was an incredibly talented artist and activist who consistently enriched her compositions with a sense of vitality. Well known for her verdant and vivid landscapes, Popkin’s proclivity for pastels enabled her to explore light and intensity of color in a way that gave life to the paper she worked on. Her ardent appreciation of nature is so apparent in her work that it inspires an almost spiritual pull to the outdoors.
This exhibition showcases works painted mostly during Elsie Dinsmore Popkin’s extensive travels, including breathtaking scenes from Greece, Japan, Chile and Turkey, among other countries.