To Be Young: Coming of Age in the Contemporary
- Dates: April 3, 2021 - April 10, 2022
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Venue: North Carolina Museum of Art
- Location: West Raleigh/N.C. State Univ/PNC Arena
- Address: 2110 Blue Ridge Rd., Raleigh, NC 27607
- Times: 10am-5pm
- Admission: Free
Where does childhood end and adulthood begin? Using both figurative and abstract images from the Museum collection, "To Be Young: Coming of Age in the Contemporary" offers an introspective overview of coming of age across various communities throughout the 20th and 21st centuries. The exhibition explores how youths process development through concepts such as identity, community, and kinship to form new perspectives on the world.
While "To Be Young" focuses on individual narratives, it also challenges how society defines maturity as a collective and questions how traditional rites of passage may change due to the current social climate stimulated by an ongoing racial justice movement and public health crisis.