Governor Morehead School Highway Historical Marker

  • Address: Old Garner Rd., Raleigh, NC 27610
  • Area: South Raleigh
  • Phone: ..

About

The Governor Morehead School, North Carolina’s school for the blind, opened in 1845 as the N.C. Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb and the Blind. In 1869, a branch of the school was established for visually or aurally impaired blacks, located first on S. Bloodworth St. then relocated here in 1929. It was the nation’s first institute for African-American blind students. Black and white blind students were integrated at the modern Governor Morehead School campus on Ashe Ave. by 1971.

  • About

    The Governor Morehead School, North Carolina’s school for the blind, opened in 1845 as the N.C. Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb and the Blind. In 1869, a branch of the school was established for visually or aurally impaired blacks, located first on S. Bloodworth St. then relocated here in 1929. It was the nation’s first institute for African-American blind students. Black and white blind students were integrated at the modern Governor Morehead School campus on Ashe Ave. by 1971.

  • Amenities
    General Amenities