In 1858, John O'Rorke, a carriage shop owner, sold a 1 1/8-acre parcel of land to the Catholic Church for use as a cemetery. It was later designated as a city-owner and local historic landmark in 2010. City of Raleigh records indicate 232 transient and pauper graves are located in this cemetery. The last known burial was March 1986. The cemetery achieved local historic designation when it was placed on the Raleigh Register of Historic Places in 2010.