Sara Hunter, wife of Saint Augustine's University’s fourth principal, founded Saint Agnes Hospital in 1896 on the college campus to provide quality medical care for African Americans. During the same time, a training school for nurses was established with the hospital. In 1937, the Training School for Nurses was accredited by the American Medical Association. The three-story, 90-bed facility served as the only hospital and training school for African Americans between Atlanta, Ga., and Washington, D.C., for nearly half a century. In 1961, Saint Agnes closed, and its patients were transferred to Wake Memorial Hospital, now known as WakeMed Health & Hospitals. Facility currently closed; renovation plans are underway.