Completed in 1840, this National Historic Landmark is one of the best-preserved examples of a civic building in Greek Revival-style architecture. It originally housed the governor's office, cabinet offices, legislative chambers, state library and state geologist's office. The building has been restored to its 1840 to 1865 appearance. Free admission. Guided tours for groups of 10+ available with advance notice through Capital Area Visitor Information (919.807.7950 or 866.724.8687) or nccapvisit.org.