Holiday Performing Arts Events in Raleigh, N.C.
Wednesday, November 29, 2023, 12pm by visitRaleigh
It's the most wonderful time of the year....on stage! From sleigh bells to your favorite elf, the Raleigh area's most beloved performing arts groups (plus a couple of widely known national acts!) will grab the spotlight this month.
Get your tickets now for these date-night events and family-friendly traditions!
Raleigh Little Theatre presents Cinderella
Cinderella returns to Raleigh Little Theatre (RLT) for its 39th year this holiday season! This musical comedy is a holiday sugarplum for the whole family, showcasing just the right mixture of comedy and romance that add the sparkle of magic to your holiday season. This visually stunning musical combines elegant costumes and scenery with singing, dancing, conniving step-relatives and resourceful fairy folk.
If you can only see one or two of the nearly 200 performances by the North Carolina Symphony each year, this may be the time to do it! Special performances for the holiday season include Handel's Messiah (Dec. 1 and 2), Holiday Pops (Dec. 8 and 9) and A Candlelight Christmas (Dec. 22 and 23).
Note: Symphony performances take place at the Martin Marietta Center for the Performing Arts, where a pop-up cupcake shop, THE DESSERTERY, awaits show-goers looking for a taste of something sweet. Separate tickets are required for entry.
Theatre In The Park presents A Christmas Carol
Celebrating 50 years of magic in 2023, this theater production from local passionate mind Ira David Wood III has wowed more than a million guests throughout the years. The beloved musical comedy, in which Wood himself puts on an incredible performance as Scrooge, is among the Raleigh area's top holiday traditions and most anticipated performing arts event of the year.
It was announced earlier in 2023 that this will be Ira David Wood III's final year performing as Scrooge. Don't miss your opportunity to see this iconic production, but note that there are very limited tickets still available!
North Carolina Theatre presents Elf: The Musical
This hilarious musical follows the hit 2003 movie that’s now a holiday classic (after all, the best way to spread Christmas cheer is by singing loud for all to hear). When Santa breaks the news to him that he is, in fact, a human, Buddy—played by Max Chernin—sets out from the North Pole determined to win over his new family and help New York remember the true meaning of Christmas.
The Justice Theater Projects presents Black Nativity in Concert
Dec. 9 and 10
This gospel music experience, a production of The Justice Theater Project, takes the audience on a journey back to the Bethlehem of Mary and Joseph, resplendent in African costumes and uplifting songs of worship. With a joyous inspirational score, Black Nativity is a legendary family show that shares this unforgettable story of the Nativity through compelling gospel music and the beautiful poetry of Langston Hughes. This year's gospel concert had an admission fee of just $5 for adults, taking place at the outdoor amphitheater at the North Carolina Museum of Art!
North Carolina Master Chorale presents Joy of the Season
The North Carolina Master Chorale, hailed by critics as the area's premier choral ensemble and the recipient of a Raleigh Medal of Arts award, has performed choral masterworks with an orchestra since 1942. Joy of the Season fills Meymandi Concert Hall with nearly 200 voices, guest choirs, a brass ensemble, percussion, piano and all the holiday spirit you can handle!
Trans-Siberian Orchestra: The Ghosts of Christmas Eve
Multi-platinum, progressive rock group Trans-Siberian Orchestra is bringing its highly anticipated winter tour back to PNC Arena for 2023! Celebrating more than 25 years of the bring-the-whole-family rock holiday tradition which has now been played to more than 17 million fans all across the nation.
Carolina Ballet presents The Nutcracker
Grace, grandeur and mysterious illusions. Carolina Ballet's holiday classic is a can't-miss tradition for locals, visitors, families and friends. Artistic director Zalman Raffael unveiled an updated version of the production in 2022, featuring new choreography, sets, costumes and more that will dazzle audiences again in 17 performances at the Martin Marietta Center for the Performing Arts this year.
Raleigh Ringers Holiday Concerts
Dec. 16 and 17
There’s no better way to ring in the holidays than by joining The Raleigh Ringers for their annual holiday concerts, featuring the group’s unique interpretations of sacred, secular and popular music, including a little bit of rock ‘n’ roll.
New Year's Eve with The Avett Brothers
The Avett Brothers, one of the state's most celebrated homegrown bands, brings their annual New Year's Eve show back to Raleigh's PNC Arena with special guest Marcus King.
- Skate the Square at Fenton, through Feb. 5
- North Carolina Chinese Lantern Festival, through Jan. 14
- THE DESSERTERY, through Dec. 23
- THE RINK presented by UNC Health at Red Hat Amphitheater, through Jan. 15
- Fuquay-Varina Town Tree Lighting, Nov. 30
- Elf the Musical, Jr., Nov. 30-Dec. 2
- Sip N’ Shop at City of Raleigh Museum, Dec. 1
- Wendell Wonderland, Dec. 1
- Downtown Raleigh Illuminate Art Walk, Dec. 1 through Jan. 5
- Holiday Harmony with the Fuquay-Varina Chorale, Dec. 1-2
- Rolesville Christmas Parade, Dec. 2
- Garner Christmas Parade, Party and Tree Lighting, Dec. 2
- Light the Springs, Dec. 2
- Scandinavian Christmas Fair, Dec. 2
- MAKRS Holiday Fest, Dec. 2
- Christmas Open House at the Joel Lane Museum House, Dec. 2
- Cary Ballet Company presents The Nutcracker, Dec. 2 and 15-17
- Capital City Clauses 30th Annual Jingle Ball, Dec. 7
- Evening with Elves at Marbles Kids Museum, Dec. 8
- Deck the Hall-Z, Dec. 8
- Holly Springs' WinterFest and Tree Trail, Dec. 8-9
- Happy Holly Days Christmas Parade, Dec. 9
- Triangle Wind Ensemble: The Snowman and Other Holiday Favorites, Dec. 10
- Girl Named Tom: One More Christmas Tour, Dec. 13
- Neuse River Big Band's Swingin' Holiday, Dec. 14
- The Hall Sisters Holiday Show, Dec. 15
- Celtic Angels Christmas, Dec. 15-17
- Pure Life Theatre presents The Motown Sound of Christmas, Dec. 21-23
- Jeanne Jolly & The Mistletoes, Dec. 22
One of America's most spectacular gardens—a hidden gem among locals and a jaw-dropping sanctuary for plant lovers... View More
The Raleigh area is home to a vibrant collection of murals that pay tribute to the rich history and cultural heritage of the City... View More